Butterflied Pork Steaks with Tangy Gravy
Tender butterflied pork steaks with a rich and tangy gravy.
- 4 Butterflied pork loin steaks
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 1 heaped tbsp gherkins, diced
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place a large frying pan over medium heat and add 1 tbsp of the butter.
- Once butter has melted, add 2 of the pork steaks and brown on both sides. Remove and set aside, then repeat with the remaining two steaks.
- Once steaks have all been browned and set aside, add the remaining 1 tbsp of butter to the pan. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Add the flour and mustard. Cook and stir constantly, for about one minute, whilst gradually adding the heated beef broth, diced gherkins and lemon juice.
- Allow to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the pock steaks to the pan and spoon the sauce over them. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the steaks are tender.
- Serve immediately with mashed potato and steamed vegetables.
Recipe adapted from Diana Rattray. See the original Braised Butterflied Pork Chops Recipe here.
Image sourced from The Spruce Eats, photography by Nyssa Tanner.