A pub favourite that can be easily created at home! Reduce the preparation time by using Ziggys pre-prepared chicken schnitzels.
- 4 Chicken Schnitzels
- 1 cup olive oil
- 500g shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Fresh basil or parsley leaves, chopped, to garnish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 x 680g bottle Fiamma Tomato Passata
- 1 x 400g can Fiamma Diced Tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small bunch Italian parsley, minced
- 1 small red capsicum, diced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- To make the sauce, add the olive oil to a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until soft.
- Add the tomato passata, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 cup water, bay leaf, parsley and capsicum and bring to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, reduce heat and cook for approximately 30 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Set sauce aside and preheat the oven to 200C.
- To cook the schnitzels, add 1 tbsp oil to a large pan and heat over high until until very hot. Add 2 of the chicken schnitzels and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy. Transfer to a lined baking tray.
- Cook the remaining two schnitzels with the remaining 1 tbsp oil, then transfer to the same baking tray.
- Top each cooked schnitzel with the tomato sauce, then cover evenly with mozzarella, freshly ground pepper and about 1 tbsp of Parmesan.
- Bake in the oven for about 6 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is evenly melted.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to plates and sprinkle with fresh basil or parsley to serve.